My how time flies!

DaisypathAnniversary Years TickerLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, August 14, 2009

He said "Bep!"

Benny is 2 days shy of 7 months old.

He is a little communicative genius. (Katie was, too. I used to call her "Communi-Katie".)

This morning he woke up alone (unusual) and started belting out "uh-uh-uh-uh-uh" ("up-up...") This was his first word, just like his big brother before him, and he has been using it for at least 2 months now.

He's been saying "Mamamama" for at least a month. He got "Dadadadada" about 3-4 weeks ago. This week they're shortened to the more familiar "Mama" and "Dada"

He says "Nay-nay" when he wants to nurse. He's had that one at least 3 weeks. If he's really desperate, or can't seem to get my attention, it's a pathetic-sounding "Naaaaay-naaaay, Maaamaaa!" (That's 2 words together!!!!!!)

On Monday he said "Bye-bye Dada" to his Daddy as we were waving goodbye to him at the door as he left for work. (Another 2 words together!!!!!) He did it again today!

He says "Tay-ee" and "Nama" when he sees his sister or brother. Or sometimes even if he *wants* to see them. (I.e. "Take me to where the bigs are, Mama!!!")

When he hears his brother and sister talking, he emulates, with matched intonation, whatever vowel sounds were in the words they said. 4+ and 5+ syllables.

This morning he knocked a toy wayyyyy out of his reach. He looked at me, intently, to make sure I was paying attention to him, and said, very matter-of-factly "Bep." I asked him, "You need Mama to help?" and his face lit up and he wiggled all over. (His usual response when you understand something he's trying to get across.)

If this is normal, don't tell me. I like thinking my baby's a genius. :)

p.s. Big thanks to my speech pathologist Roomie who clued me in with the first kid that the more you talk to your babies, the faster they learn language. I have proven her right 3 times now! (Like any kids of mine had a chance of anything but me talking their ears off, right?!? But I do do it more, and more purposefully, because of what she said!)