My how time flies!

DaisypathAnniversary Years TickerLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On the homeschooling front...

I hardly ever post any more. Stupid Facebook! LOL!

It's not original, but it's probably new to all but 1 of you. These are excerpts from an email I wrote to a friend this morning. Just in case you care.

My big (big big big huge gigantic I totally suck at it) problem is the day-to-day and week-to-week consistency. And even worse than that is tracking/logging anything. We have not "done" school in a month, at least, although we do learn... just not with the boxes. Perhaps I should put a positive spin on it and say we are 100% unschoolers this last month or two!!! ;) But I will get there. I bought RightStart Math level B (used) for Sammy, plan to start that in Jan. I made him an addition chart 0-4s to fill in the other day and he thought it was the neatest thing he ever saw! He also loves the few math books and games we have. So I know we will be doing a good bit of Math when we get (re)started, just because he loves it so much. He hasn't touched his Hooked on Phonics in a month, but his reading has progressed, so I think when we get back to it he will breeze through a lot of it.
I've been putting a lot of thought the last few months into what programs to use. After much thinking, a little bit (not enough, I'm sure!) prayer, and some observation/analysis of my kids' learning styles, here is what I have come up with:
  • Writing: Handwriting Without Tears (currently doing. Both kids. Katie loves this!)
  • Music: MusikGarten classes once a week (been doing since Katie was a baby)
  • Social Studies/History/Geography: US map on wall, study 1-3 states per week. Supplement with NickJr.com state fact cards, and anything we care to look up online. When we're done with that, I have a world map. (currently doing)
  • Reading: Hooked on Phonics, followed by classic or Newberry award winners (currently doing)
  • Religion: learning basic prayers, reading Bible stories and stories about saints (currently doing)
  • Math: RightStart (starting in Jan '10)
  • Spelling: Sequential Spelling (starting in Aug '10?)
  • Science: Apologia (starting Astronomy in Aug '10? Or maybe Jan '11 if I am still as disorganized in Aug as I am now. LOL!)
  • Foreign Language: They want to learn Spanish. I need to look into the Muzzy program. When they get a little bigger I would love to pick up a Rosetta Stone Homeschool version for them. Also, we will inherit my goddaughter's Latin program, for when they are a little older.
  • Art: I suck in this department. Right now this is just free play with playdoh, paints, crayons, etc. Do you have any suggestions for something more directed?

No comments: